Thursday, March 29, 2012

Is Anything Better Than Pasta? Nope. Didn't Think So.

Seriously, if reincarnation exists, I was an Italian in my previous life. I love pasta. I could eat it everyday. I could eat with red sauce, white sauce, butter sauce...and if you add garlic into the mix, my day has pretty much been made complete.

Having said that (I always think of Curb Your Enthusiasm when saying this...haha), I eat it too often to always have a white sauce that is capable of clogging every artery I have. Enter, the greatest culinary epiphany I have had in the recent past: the not-full-of-cream-and-cheese sauce (sophisticated title, I know).

Here's what you need for 2-3 people:

- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 8 ounces of chicken broth (use low sodium, or take it easy on other salt in your dinner)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic (depending on how long you've known the person you'll be kissing later).

Melt the butter over low heat. When melted, add chopped garlic, and cook for a couple minutes. Next, add the flour, and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes. Then, add in the chicken broth and whisk for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth. Turn up the heat a little and stir gently for as long as the sauce needs to become thick (not Alfredo thick, but enough to coat pasta).

This sauce is truly divine, and not full of cream and cheese (bittersweet, I know). Your waste line (and heart) will thank you.

I combined it with 6-8 oz of linguine, grilled chicken cut into strips, and pieces of roasted asparagus and it was magical. Oh, and I topped it with parmesan cheese, because what would pasta be without it? I can't even imagine.

Here is a photo of the deliciousness:



Here are some helpful hints I've discovered that really helped make this dish easy and delicious:

- Slice the chicken breasts in half (thinner chicken = more even cooking and shorter grill time).
- The asparagus roasted well at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- Whole Foods sells organic chicken broth in 8 oz cartons (remember, avoid cans when at all possible. BPA is not your friend!).

Buona Sera!

No comments:

Post a Comment