Friday, March 16, 2012

Dinner Photos...and a few tidbits I thought I'd share.

Let it be known that no matter how organized and deliberate I try to be while planning my menu, I will ALWAYS need to change something because I didn't think something through. As much as I love filet, it is not a very economical steak (duh!). Now, while I won't jeopardize animal welfare to save money (as evidenced by my weekly gasp when checking out at Whole Foods), I will happily choose a different piece of meat. In this case, I opted for a nice ribeye instead. (If I was a really super duper food blogger there'd be a picture here. Just pretend, ok?) Another reason I like buying one piece of meat and splitting it between Mike and I is because we buy (and eat) less meat than if we bought two steaks. Would I love a whole 8-12 oz steak myself? Yes. Do I need it? No. I try to stick to the four-ounces-per-serving rule. Here is a picture of dinner. The highlight: steamed asparagus with melted butter and chives; the lowlight: roasted beet mashed potatoes. They weren't the best were terrible, in my opinion. Mike felt differently, but I don't know if that was him just being a good husband. Next time, I'll opt for mashed potatoes and a side of roasted beets...thank  you very much. Here's dinner: 


Here's the Halibut with Orzo Dish...and a tip: buy the Whole Foods Frozen Halibut. It comes in 2 individually-wrapped, perfectly-sized pieces for less than $8. The fish was flaky and delicious and would have been double the price had I bought fresh (which I would have, if they weren't out of it.) I love when things like this work out. How did that little slice of bread get on the plate? Oh, I know. I am obsessed. I don't care if carbs for dinner are unacceptable to some. They are acceptable to me, and I am quite happy about that.  


Here's the Linguini/Linguine with Kale, Turkey Bacon, Fontina, and Garlic (and Parmesan). As if pasta isn't dangerous enough, I had a piece of crispy french bread with olive oil, thyme, chives and mozzarella and fontina cheese on top. Why? Because on a night with a plate of pasta for dinner, calories certainly aren't that big of a concern. :) 



Last but not least, here are the Creamy Chicken Taquitos. Originally planned for Monday, I forgot my chicken was in the freezer. Oops. I paired them with sour cream, salsa, cilantro, green onions, and black beans. Trader Joe's has the best deal in town - organic, in a BPA free can for $1.19. Yes, please.


And in case I haven't rambled enough, here is a picture of the produce that inspired this week's menu: 
Visit www.abundantharvestorganics.com for more information on receiving organic and local produce. FYI: all of these fruits and veggies cost about $20 - worth every penny...and way cheaper than organic at the grocery store. 

Ciao! 

2 comments:

  1. The beet mashed potatoes were delicious. I think you just don't like beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like beets. I don't like beets in perfectly delicious mashed potatoes. I take back the "good husband" reference. jk, I love you...even if you are Irish and don't love potatoes.

    ReplyDelete